Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wonderful hospitality, weekend of solitude

From last Thursday to last Saturday, Wil was in Colorado for a Youth Pastor's Conference preparing for Summit this December.  The more he tells me about it, the more excited I get!  It sounds like it's going to be a really refreshing, relevant conference for youth and young adults.  I won't reveal any of the cool details just yet!

Anyway, so he was gone and Soren and I were left in Argonia to hang out together.  It was a good weekend.  One day was warm enough outside that I was able to have lunch and read out on the porch while Soren took a nap.  Those kind of days are still kind of a rarity right now in Kansas, so I jump at any opportunity to be outside, even if it's only warm for an hour or so.

One of the Neifert daughters is a killer piano player and made it to State this year.  The big day was last Saturday, so Soren and I met up with her and all her family at Wichita State to watch her dominate with Rachmaninoff's prelude in c# minor.  She got a II, but she totally deserved a I.  Everyone I heard there could have gotten a I in my opinion. Really incredible students.  Here's the auditorium where she played.

After the performance, I was planning on sticking around downtown Wichita for a few hours until Wil got back into town.  But then I got a phone call telling me that the weather was so bad that he wouldn't get back until 9 or 10!  I wasn't sure what to do.  It's about an hour back to Argonia and I didn't feel like making that trip twice. 

Connie and Gary, the grandparents of the Neifert girls, live in Wichita and invited me over to hang out until Wil got back.  I'm so glad I decided to join them!  I had a great time at their place.  They served me lunch, we hung out and chit-chatted about their time serving as missionaries in Africa, and then I got to take a great long nap with li'l Soren.  Then we had dinner and went to the church-wide bowling party in Cheney (that's right, we drive 30 minutes to another town to the one and only bowling alley for miles and miles).

Sunday was a normal day of church, nap, and more church.  Monday was Wil's day off.  Monday night we both had a horrible sweet tooth and decided to make some caramel popcorn.

Pop some popcorn.
Google "caramel popcorn recipes"
Make awesome caramel coating and pour it in a bag of popcorn:


Shake it up.


Examine the goods.





so good!  A great midnight snack!

Today was one of those misleading days where it was absolutely beautiful outside, drawing us outdoors, only to be immensely sorry we went outside in the first place because it was FREEZING!  We realized this about halfway to the park with Soren and Leon.

This guy needed to get outside, though.  He was getting crazy cabin fever.

Soren wasn't liking the wind very much...understandably so!


After this shot we ran for home!  Luckily it's only a block away!  I love living in a small town.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment